Friday, May 21, 2010

Visual Basic Express 2005/08 - How do I publish my app. so it installs under program files?

When I publish and then install my visual basic 2005 or 2008 application, it installs under the local user profile. How do I set it so it installs into the program files directory? or for that matter, any directory I choose. and can I publish it so that it will install under a directory that the user chooses? Thanks

Visual Basic Express 2005/08 - How do I publish my app. so it installs under program files?
You can't. The Visual Basic Express tool only creates packages that install under the local user profile. You need to either purchase the full version, or use an external packaging tool.





You should take a look at this open source installer: http://nsis.sourceforge.net
Reply:I'm not sure of VB05/08 (I still use VB6) but I'm pretty sure if you want the best custom designed installer, compile your app as all the files, then write your own installer in VB again and figure out how to install with your install app, your actuall app. I've done that in VB6, not too hard with resource files.


No comments:

Post a Comment